Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Discord Server
Chat
Poll

Which days are you available to race

FM5 VM Miata Spec Race Vote_lcap20%FM5 VM Miata Spec Race Vote_rcap 20% [ 1 ]
FM5 VM Miata Spec Race Vote_lcap40%FM5 VM Miata Spec Race Vote_rcap 40% [ 2 ]
FM5 VM Miata Spec Race Vote_lcap40%FM5 VM Miata Spec Race Vote_rcap 40% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 5

FM5 VM Miata Spec Race

3 posters

:: The Tarmac :: Archive

Go down

FM5 VM Miata Spec Race Empty FM5 VM Miata Spec Race

Post by Dominic Mako Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:00 pm

I thought I'd make a separate post to discuss the events of the VM Test race and share some thoughts and experiences of what went on. I'll start with my lobby.

That was the weirdest lag experience I've ever had. Everyone's voice was really robotic and distorted. I could make out just enough to know where I was starting, which was in 5th. Once in a while the screen would slow down and then speed back up again to catch up, so instead of just seeing other cars lag, everything on your screen lags too.

I'm not sure what the point of the pit stop was, since we were on cosmetic damage. The car doesn't stop. That seemed a bit dumb, but I can understand why they'd do the first test race on cosmetic.

Having 15 other engines overwhelm your own engine sound is super annoying. T10 really need to fix the sound issues stat.

I think I goofed the start a little and left too much space between me and the next car in front, but my guess is because they weren't going 60mph as stated. I made a couple passes in the race later on after about lap 10, and stayed 100% collision free, mainly because I was driving very conservatively. I slowed down in a couple places to avoid creating any potential problems, and just went ahead and picked my spots when I had them free and clear. My fastest lap was 1:11.3615. I finished 3rd in the lobby with a total time of 25:20.993.
Dominic Mako
Dominic Mako
Admin
Admin

Race Number : 32

Back to top Go down

FM5 VM Miata Spec Race Empty Re: FM5 VM Miata Spec Race

Post by consult Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:34 am

I could hear everyone ok, no distortion, but it appears my headset mic is broken. Thought there was a lack of organisation, just with the time that it took to get the qualifying round started, but after that was underway it wasn't too bad. Again it took a while to get the race lobby together, but I think that had more to do with finding people to invite them.

So the race... Well I'm not the fastest person on the track, qualified in 10th on the slower race, the rolling start was interesting. By the time I was passing the line first place was on the corner, so I knew there wasn't a chance I would place well. I will have to have a look at the lobby settings to see if it would be worth doing a one lap race finishing in your start position, so the actual race you start in position.
The lag, it only lagged once or twice for me, when there were four or five cars around the same part of the track. I could hear others complaining about more lag than I was having. The opponent in fronts car slowed down and jumped ahead a couple of times, but that was it.
As for times, I set a new best for the track at 1 13.3 something I think, don't know overall time, but probably around the 25:50 mark.

Overall, an enjoyable experience as a newbie to competition races, and had a good clean battle with another racer. Little to no contact, tho guilty of side bumping someone that cost me a couple of places.
consult
consult

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Mako Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:04 pm

In FM4 we are able to set the starting grid by lobby points. That option is not available in FM5. At the start of the race I was supposed to be fifth but I was in last place and had to pick my way through so that I'd be in the right spot by the time we got across the line. Unfortunately, the pole sitter was blasting full speed ahead and it took me over half the lap to get into the right spot.

With large leagues like TORA and Virtual Motorsports, winning isn't always a reasonable goal, but placing higher than you started should be. I usually hope to pick off one or two guys during the event, and only 25 minutes to do it in you don't have a lot of room for mistakes. In that case, I feel like finding a consistent line and avoiding contact is the best bet to accomplish that.
Dominic Mako
Dominic Mako
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Clark GriswoId Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Waiting for a 1 guy to rejoin due his own connection issues (NON GAME related) was a trial of my patience. I'm sorry, but when 15 other racers are waiting fr 1 guy to rejoin due to router / internet connection issues, need to just start the race.  after 30 mnutes, we did finally start our first try.

1 st try: had 2 racers go invisible, had to completely remake the lobby.

2nd try: had traditional lag spike ( FM4 ) two racers got totalled but we reformed and kept going due to cosmetic damage setting.

Same issue as Dom after that, Pole sitter was hauling ass and then slowed down, the rolling start was a mess. In My Opinion, if we (MSM) can come up with a way to start everyone in order after quali, we should.

Lap 1, turn 7, everyone shit showed, i was spun and ended up 15th. Passed on pit into 12th, then faught the rest of the race to keep 12th and take 11th.

after lap 1 i ran pretty consistant high 1:10 / low 11's, fastest lap was a 1:10.5, total time of 25:27.686 ( Dom would have beat my ass)
Clark GriswoId
Clark GriswoId

Race Number : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Clark GriswoId Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Test Race #2 Posted =

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Clark GriswoId
Clark GriswoId

Race Number : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks for posting Clark I signed up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Mako Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:18 pm

I think I'm going to skip that one. Not enough time to prepare, and I'm kinda behind on the other two MSM events coming up.

Once VM start to get their official FM5 series going, I'll try to schedule our events to avoid any conflicts.
Dominic Mako
Dominic Mako
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:36 pm

Agreed on not enough time to prep but I could with the experience so think it's worthwhile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down