37% 37% [ 7 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 19

Poster development

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Poster development

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:23 am

THESE ADDS ARE MINT! for future events i propose we announce them in the racers lounge over at .net each event aswell as our thread in the club house section.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimsalad on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:14 pm

Othelion wrote:Wow, a lot is to be said about these. They are so different from the ones I made up. Both versions have their strengths I believe, and a combination of both might lead to a great poster.

Rather than try to alter yours I thought it better to make a clean slate and go for a different approach otherwise we end up limiting ideas.

-size: I went with the standard Forza picture size, these are taller. I like these more as we can put more information on them to a point where everything we would want on a poster can be on it, while also not cropping the picture too much vertically.

I thought of the bars as extensions on the image as opposed to overlapping so that you can get as much out of it as possible.

-pictures: I know this is done as an example, but in posters for publishing, the Forza watermark should be cropped/shopped out.
Yeah, I didn't have anything sizeable to hand that was big enough to crop those out and I didn't want to mess around photoshopping it out so I just left it in the corner.

-the MSM bullhead is a good logo and should be in the poster - great job.

yey

-textbar backgrounds: I can't really tell which is better. Grey is grey, but it seems to work somehow so kudos for that.
Like I said to a previous comment, the top one is more of an extension of the image. The footer is meant to appear like it's overlapped the image which is why I didn't extend i to 100% - I felt that was too grid like.

I went for grey because when I was trying out different colours they all seemed to draw attention away from the action shot. Both bars actually have the exact same styling, but because of height and length differences this is interpreted differently.

-layout: this is where my view on things differs the most. I believe that the upper bar should be for branding and drawing attention, while the lower bar can carry most of the information. A poster should guide the viewer's eyes somewhat, having all information on the top will keep people stuck at the top of the poster, while the rest is barely noticed. That is why I would choose my header: keeping the one for the tuning as is, for the races I'd use mine with the addition of your sub-title and classes.

This is why I went with grey bars. The image will always be the most colourful in my posters, so will naturally be the first point of focus. The bottom bar is designed to be as minimalistic as possible as to not intrude on the image itself, leaving the information to naturally be at the top. The information is also kept as concise as possible, so they don't have to trawl through a paragraph to find out who, what, when and where. Even though I tried to include the least amount I think a fiddle around with text layout wouldn't be too much to ask.

-The actual content itself is very good and should be kept imo. You've used the extra poster size well and added leaderboard positions, cost and search terms to the tuning poster. The race poster gets added lobby information and also a one liner explaining the series plus the classes used. I've already said what I'd do with the headers, everything that's left should find its place on the bottom.

Key things in information communication are Who What When Where - got the last three all up at the top and the first one is in the footer. Was toying around with the idea of having the MSMnation logo on there somewhere too but I couldn't get it looking right so I left it out.

I hope you understand what I mean when you take another look at the posters. I'm sure we can cook up something great when we combine all this.
Jimsalad
Admin
Admin

Race Number : 61

http://msmnation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by I Am Afroduck on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:25 pm

RetPetty wrote:Maybe the painters can come up with some ideas or we could run a paint comp. white n purple would work imo

Gonna alter the colour of my MSM paint comp GT-R to see what colour schemes seem to work with the purple. I'll post my results in a separate thread
I Am Afroduck
Painter
Painter

Race Number : 888

http://the-ducks-view.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Othelion on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Going to pick this up again as we have the Super GT series approaching. Minim, if you want to do the posters in photoshop that's fine with me - I would just try to put the team name on top and the race info on the bottom to compare with your original design.

I'm also willing to make the posters myself. That will be done in Gimp however, and with my limited knowledge of it. I've redone my design and incorporated several good elements from Minim's posters. Tried to make the grey work but never got it as fancy as the photoshop textbars. Photo and race info are still from FnF. There is room in the top right corner for the team logo, but I'd need a good image of it first.

Race Number : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimsalad on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:18 am

Obviously missing lap amounts as those will be worked out over the next couple of days. Also photography is not my strong point and a better image may be viable.

Again mixed and matched a couple of Othelions implementations on his poster design, as for information relocation the style that my poster is in would not work with info at the bottom.

Jimsalad
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RetPetty on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:05 am

nice, i like it Smile

Admin

Race Number : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Othelion on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:45 am

It looks like you dropped the vertical size a bit, which makes it look better. If you are fine with making all the posters that's ok with me. I can still provide the photo's. If you could save that in a Gimp friendly format that would also be great.

We should make a poster for the Gas crisis exhibition race as well. We can race a few lobbies in those cars to give some photo material. Would be great if we had a couple of paints already too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimsalad on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 am

When I was updating it last night I didn't fully save the changes so I uploaded an old version, the only difference is the top right I think.

Would be a good idea too to get a poster out for the gas crisis race, also maybe even aware's Miura once it's painted

EDIT - added lap amounts as well, ths poster is about ready (maybe a change in picture)

Last edited by minim61 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Jimsalad
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Othelion on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:29 am

In my opinion, exhibition races and tunes should get posters too. I was thinking we could race a few gas crisis cars in your lobbies tonight or in the next few days. If people have a paint finished already they could get featured on the poster then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Lookin' good, Minim.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:23 pm

fantastic should add this to the op of the gt500 thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by I Am Afroduck on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:38 pm

One we've got a couple of cars on the go we could get a picture from some quick races.

Follow Me on Twatter: @Ryanmfoley5
Check out my new Blog: http://ryanmfoley.blogspot.co.uk/
I Am Afroduck
Painter
Painter

Race Number : 888

http://the-ducks-view.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down