Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Discord Server
Chat
Poll

Which days are you available to race

"David and Goliath" Classic Car series Vote_lcap20%"David and Goliath" Classic Car series Vote_rcap 20% [ 1 ]
"David and Goliath" Classic Car series Vote_lcap40%"David and Goliath" Classic Car series Vote_rcap 40% [ 2 ]
"David and Goliath" Classic Car series Vote_lcap40%"David and Goliath" Classic Car series Vote_rcap 40% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 5

"David and Goliath" Classic Car series

3 posters

:: The Tarmac :: Archive

Go down

"David and Goliath" Classic Car series Empty "David and Goliath" Classic Car series

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Got this idea from a race I saw at Brands Hatch circuit a number of years back which ended up being some of the most exciting racing I've seen. Essentially the idea is to have two groups of cars, one "David"; small engined roadsters vs "Goliath" large engined muscle cars. (This particular race ended up being between a Frog Eyed Sprite and a 71 Camaro. The Sprite took the victory in the end)

Restrictions would be thus:

All cars would be class C.
All cars would be older than 1990
All cars would be RWD.
Full roll cage would be the only required modification, regardless of group.
Goliath cars would have an engine larger than 4.0l
David cars would have an engine of 2.0l or less.

I'm thinking have a series of 10 circuits; some would favour the Goliaths, some the Davids, some a mixture of the two. 10 laps of each circuit (but this can be tweaked depending on length.. nominally I'd say each race should last about 20 minutes).

Thoughts? Interest?

Back to top Go down

"David and Goliath" Classic Car series Empty Re: "David and Goliath" Classic Car series

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:44 pm

sounds like fun

count me in

Back to top Go down

"David and Goliath" Classic Car series Empty Re: "David and Goliath" Classic Car series

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Sounds interesting! But would it favor the "David" cars too much? If I'm not wrong, there are many ways to add horsepower without changing the engine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Fair point merrick. If that's true, I'm certainly open to suggestions on how we can get around that. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMehDarkside Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:53 pm

It sounds good, but there are 2 main reasons on why I would not let this go through.

1. We have at least 3 race series ahead of this one, so it probably wont get off until about the summer, (World Endurance Challenge, British Touring Car Championship, MSM Prestige Challenge)

2. I feel like there are wayyy too many races, 10 races is alot, so thats minimum of 10 weeks, to be honest I'd probably condense it into about a 5 race series so people dont start losing interest in the race series after a while.

But all in all, it looks good
CallMehDarkside
CallMehDarkside
Reviewer
Reviewer

Race Number : 25

https://www.facebook.com/NsaNeZiityyy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Fair enough Bobbo.

1 - Unfortunately due to time constraints that I have, I can't take part in any of the current series. I was interested in doing some racing in a time when I could take part, rather than the other games like Cat n Mouse, Tag etc that are going on at the moment when I'm online.

2 - Appreciate the input. I've never organised anything like this before, so was really just throwing ideas out there to see what people thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Othelion Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:57 pm

I want to start off with saying it's not a bad idea, if you can work out the details. I appreciate that you ask for thoughts and input before having made any final decisions. That is a good start.

If you want to see if it's imbalanced or not, do some testing with the cars. I don't think that you'll be able to add too much hp to the lighter cars, as it's limited by being in C class. However, I do think that the dominant forces will end up being the Lotus Elan, followed by the Renault 5 Turbo (assuming we ban the Dart and don't allow stock/street tranny on muscle cars). To find out my assumptions are correct or not, you need to test. Depending on the outcome you can always add/remove restrictions, or ban certain cars.

I agree that 10 races is too much. As it would be your first organised event, and that it's not our main race series, nor a replica like the WEC, I would go for 3 or 4, max 5 races. Bobbo makes a very valid point of people losing interest. Organising a succesful series isn't easy, and if there is imbalance/boredom/technical issues or whatever, with a short series people won't fall out as quickly and you get the chance to fix things sooner. Always better than having as much people drop out that you have to cancel halfway through.

20 minute races sounds about good, remember it's always best to match the length of the races somewhat, amount of laps is fairly irrelevant.

Questions: what time and day would you plan this on? As you said, our regular races are on days you can't join, so what does suit for you? What timezone are you in? What cars can fit in each category with current restrictions (also think engine swaps, displacement upgrades) and do you like every car in that list?
Othelion
Othelion

Race Number : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:06 am

Maybe its because Im a fan of F1 style games, but my main problem isnt the 10 races (hell, if its balanced I could stand 20) but the fact I see many balance problems with this as Oth has stated.

I've seen this before somewhere watching a BTCC show and they described it as David and Goliath, it sounded like a killer idea then and it still does now. Just gotta work out the kinks.

Not sure I'd be able to participate unfortunately with my responsibilities at WEC, school, MSM races, and BTCC. I'd say I have a full schedule as it is now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:55 am

Thanks again both for your input. Oth, to answer your questions; the second line of the thread title will tell you that I'm based in the UK and would be thinking about doing this at around 8.30pm on a Tuesday or Thursday evening, GMT

As you say at this stage I'm just laying down the skeleton of an idea to see what people think of it in theory. If there's sufficient interest (given the other series that are also going on at the moment) then I can do more testing to finalise the details.

Back to top Go down

Post by Othelion Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 am

Just a heads up for the BTCC series on thursdays 8.30 GMT: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]. Maybe you can check that again to see if it'll fit into your schedule, as it would be when you would schedule your own events. If you want to run this, you could look at planning it starting the week after BTCC ends. Also gives you plenty time to work the details.
Othelion
Othelion

Race Number : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:46 am

Ah! Thanks for that. I was watching that thread as something I could join in with but someone mentioned 1st Feb as a start date, which is a Wednesday and a day I can't usually do. Kinda lost interest after that. Will definitely give it another look though. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by SnippetyOggy86 Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:33 am

SteelRat70 wrote:Ah! Thanks for that. I was watching that thread as something I could join in with but someone mentioned 1st Feb as a start date, which is a Wednesday and a day I can't usually do. Kinda lost interest after that. Will definitely give it another look though. Smile

I believe mr Duck got the days wrong, i also brought that up with him and he said it should be a thursday. You might want to double check with him though next hes on.
SnippetyOggy86
SnippetyOggy86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: The Tarmac :: Archive

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum